What is the Veteran Family Program?
The Veteran Family Program is funded through Veterans Affairs Canada and in partnership with Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services. Military Family Services (a division of Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services) partners with Military Family Resource Centres to deliver services to medically releasing Canadian Armed Forces members, medically released Veterans and their families from across Canada. A Veteran Family Program Navigator is available at every Military Family Resource Centre in Canada to support the transition of medically releasing Canadian Armed Forces members, medically released Veterans and their families into post-service life.
Releasing from the Canadian Armed Forces can be challenging for members and families, but even more so when the release is the result of a medical situation. When a Canadian Armed Forces member makes the transition from active service to veteran status, their family does too. The Veteran Family Program is here to help ease that transition by providing enhanced information and referral services, specialized transition programs and some of the traditional programs offered through Military Family Resource Centres.
The Veteran Family Program benefits the medically releasing Canadian Armed Forces members, medically released Veterans and their families by helping them navigate the complex process of releasing, the challenges that may arise, and the sometimes unexpected impact on the social, emotional, and financial wellbeing. Programs and services are always aimed to meet individual needs, and work towards finding solutions and support. The Veteran Family Program can enhance other services provided through the Canadian Armed Forces Transition Group, Veterans Affairs Canada and other organizations in the local community.
Some components of the Veteran Family Program which you might find helpful include:
Veteran Family Journal:
- Readily available, helpful tool for navigating your personal transition journey and identifying needs, includes supportive worksheets and checklists as well as storage space for important documents.
Mental Health First Aid – Veteran Community:
- Learn the framework for having a confident conversation about mental health with family. Tailored to address the needs of Veterans and the people who care for, and about them.
COPE: Couples Overcoming PTSD Everyday:
- Designed for couples to gain an understanding of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and how it can impact their relationship and the family. Learn coping skills and insights to help manage living with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Care for the Caregiver:
- As a caregiver of a Veteran or medically releasing military member living with an Operational Stress Injury, there may be significant challenges in supporting a loved one while managing other responsibilities related to work, life and family. This resource is intended to provide Operational Stress Injury education as well as self-care tools to support the caregiver role.
Family Information Line
- The Family Information Line is a confidential, personal, bilingual and free service offering information, support, referrals, reassurance and crisis management to the military community. Our counsellors are a team of helping professionals. We serve Canadian Armed Forces members, Veterans and their families – immediate and extended. 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
- Inclusion in some of the Military Family Resource Centre programs and services.
To learn more:
- Visit any Canadian Military Family Resource Centre and speak with the onsite Veteran Family Program Navigator;
- Call the Family Information Line at 1-800-866-4546 or email FIL@CAFconnection.ca;
- Visit cafconnection.ca/vfp for information
Veteran Family Discount Card
If you or a family member served or are currently serving in the military, Twiggs is offering a discount of 10% when you sign up for the Veteran Family Card.Get Your Card, Today!
We are your MFRC
Although we are based in North Bay, we serve a large geographic area, and are always on the road meeting with families in your community.
We are your MFRC. Give us a call.
For more information about what North Bay MFRC has to offer veterans and their families, and for specifics of the Veteran Family Program, please contact:
We are still available to offer support and provide virtual programming to families when needed. Please use the gmail addresses below to contact the MFRC staff as the Forces email accounts will not be regularly monitored. Thank you.
Programs and Events…
No events listed at this time.