For the purposes of the Emergency Child Care program, an emergency is defined as any “sudden and unforeseen circumstance whereby a family is unable due to time restrictions to implement their “Family Care Plan”.
Emergency child care is available to CF and USAF families at all times, day or night. If perhaps an emergency situation arises and you do not have child care, please follow the instructions below as how to obtain this service. We have screened child care providers on call and the MFRC covers the cost at our predetermined rates.
Some circumstances may include:
- A military member is away on duty and the spouse/caregiver is unavailable due to illness.
- A military member is away on duty and the spouse/caregiver is unavailable due to a family emergency.
- When the military member is required to report for duty on short notice and the spouse/caregiver is unavailable.
- When a single parent or both parents are military members and duty requirements are such that the parent is unable to access their usual child care arrangement at a time when the military member’s presence at work is critical to the military operation.
Respite Child Care
Respite Child Care is a service offered to CF and USAF families where the military member is away due to operational requirements. If you feel as though you would like some time to yourself please contact us to arrange for one of our screened Emergency/Respite Child Care Providers to care for your children. If you are uncomfortable with bringing your children to someone they don’t know, we can arrange for you to meet the Provider ahead of time.
NOTE: Respite child care must be pre-approved to be eligible for funding.
Casualty Support Child Care
Casualty Support Child Care is support to families of a CF member who is ill, injured or has died while serving. Casualty Support Child Care is made available to meet the unique demands of the families of ill, injured, and deceased CF Personnel including short notice and all times day or night.
Casualty Support Child Care is available under the following circumstances:
- To facilitate spousal attendance/participation at medical, mental health or social support service appointments that will aid in the recuperation of CF personnel;
- To provide respite for families of a CF member who is ill, injured or has died while serving in any capacity;
- To allow families to participate in repatriation services (e.g. Trenton, Landstuhl);
- To support families throughout the funeral and bereavement process.
Emergency and Respite Child Care Providers:
- Are screened by a thorough screening process and have a completed police record check.
- Will respect your family’s confidentiality.
Instructions On How To Obtain Services
For further information regarding Emergency or Respite Child Care or to request assistance, please contact: Diane Sarrazin-Dubeau 705-494-2011 ext 2056/2053 at the MFRC Monday to Friday 8am-4pm or
email Diane at
After hours please contact the MCC DESK at 494-2011 ext 6407 for a list of providers. If this service is arranged through the MCC Desk after hours, please ensure that the MFRC Emergency/Respite Child Care Coordinator is aware the next available business day.